Aqueduct of Segovia
The aqueduct of Segovia is, undoubtedly, one of the best legacies of the Romans in Spain. It was built with the aim of driving the water of the Sierra to the city of Segovia and reaches a height of 28 m in Azoguejo Square.
His 167 arches of Guadarraa granitic stone are composed of blocks linked by a clever balance of forces, without the aid of any type of mortar.
Alcázar de Segovia
The Alcázar was built on a rock surrounded by two rivers: the Clamores to the left and the Eresma to the right side. In the front of the Alcázar is the Tower of Juan II, who was assigned to defend the fortress of any attack from the city.
Already in its origins, the Alcázar was a military fortress. In the 12th century, would be used as a royal residence and was already in the 18th century when Carlos III established the school of the Royal Body of Artillery there.
The uniqueness of Segovia architecture can be seen in its facade: the Sgraffito, decorative technique that involves making incisions on the surface layer of a wall, so that uncovering the lower layer, which is of another color.
The black pebbles which dot the wall are iron slag, used to avoid moisture. It's a technique traditionally used in Segovia to decorate the facades of the houses.
Late Gothic style, began to be built in 1525, with the collaboration of Segovia. The old cathedral was situated in the current gardens of the Alcazar and was destroyed during the War of the Communities in 1520.
It is worth being fixed in the glass windowss (s. XVI), the altarpiece dedicated to Ntra. Sra. de la Paz (s. XIV), donated to the city by Enrique IV, the choir stalls (end of century XV) from the old cathedral, the beautiful baroque organs, the railings or neoclassical jubé which keeps the urn with the relics of San Frutos.
The Jewish presence in Segovia is marked in the year 1215, but its presence goes back to the end of the 11th century.
The places where settled of Jewish population in Segovia were surrounding the current Plaza de la Merced and the parishes of San Miguel and San Andrés, all within the walled city.
The Jewish quarter is a medieval quarter, in which stands out the door of San Andrés, which closed the medieval walls of the city, giving way to the Jewish cemetery, which was attached through the Bridge of the Star.
Churches and monasteries
Model of segovian Romanesque church.
Church of Corpus Christi. Sacred place for two religions: Christian and Jewish, was used as a synagogue until 1410, when the seizure took place to the Jewish community.
Enrique IV ordered its construction in 1447. It has several cloisters, Gothic, Mudéjar and plateresque and highlights the plateresque set sculpted in wood.
Belonging to the late Romanesque style. Its Tower is considered one of the most beautiful Romanesque.
Iglesia de San Martín
The temple is a compendium of Castilian Romanesque, a triple atrium of columns and three apses. Finally, a mudejar tower that occupies the space of the dome.
Convento de los Carmelitas Descalzos
Convent from the 17TH century. A stone staircase takes us into the convent, founded by San Juan de la Cruz in 1586 the mystical poet governed the House of 1587-1591 and his tomb lies inside.
It was founded by the Knights of the order of the Holy Sepulchre in 1208, but tradition since time immemorial has attributed it to the Templars.
It is one of the oldest churches of Segovia, at the end of century XI. In 1905 it was acquired and restored by Daniel Zuloaga, subsequently becoming the Zuloaga family Museum.
It was built in the year 1455 by Enrique IV De Castilla. The building was constructed on the basis of the cottage of Enrique IV, known as "El Campillo", located in a forest near the city of Segovia.
Built in the middle of the 12th century on a previous end of the 11th century temple. It is one of the best preserved Romanesque temples of the city.
Iglesia de San Miguel
December 13, 1474, next to the door, and after the death of his brother Enrique IV, Isabel I was proclaimed Queen of Castilla. Later it was known as Isabel la Católica.
Santuario de la Virgen de la Fuencisla
Patron Saint of the city and land of Segovia community. Built between 1598 and 1613.